02 January 2012

2011 Year in Review Photo Highlights

As I welcome 2012, I am grateful for the changes and experiences of 2011. Moving to the country has allowed the exploration of gardening, food preservation, and garden-to-plate cooking along with the cultural shift of city/suburban living to country living. While I do miss my family, Starbucks, and anonymity, I enjoy the beauty of the country and living so close to my husband's family. As we enter the grey months, the following 2011 photo highlights are reminders of the beauty and bounty of country living:
standing with my mother-in-law and niece among freshly planted garden beds
rainbow over the farm after a summer storm

zucchini awaiting preservation
zucchini-oat pancakes with sweetened rhubarb sauce and sour cream

baby bird in my roma cherry tomato plant
summer sunset


diamond eggplant

mongolian giant sunflower
late afternoon yellow glow cast over the fields
Daddy's tools and Vivi's tools
moon rising 1
moon rising 2
locusts shedding his skin on our back porch
peach pie with a traditional lard crust for my mom's birthday

 summer harvest
ciambotta: the best use of summer vegetables and, perhaps, the best country meal prepared in my kitchen
garlic scapes

a quick meal of toasted baguettes, goat cheese, local bacon, and crispy garlic scapes
rhubarb from my mother-in-law's rhubarb patch
potato plant in bloom

spicy pickled sugar snap peas
early summer appetizer: baguette rounds lightly buttered with thinly sliced radish, sea salt, and chopped dill

midsummer fritto misto: beer-battered zucchini blossoms and zucchini croquettes
flowering tobacco plant
hungarian peppers smoking on the grill before being dehydrated and ground down into smoked paprika
kale and carrot plants with the backdrop of an autumn storm
maple-glazed short ribs and cabbage braised in porter
autumn wildflowers by the creek

Happy New Year!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! What beautiful pictures! Did you take all of them? Can I put in an order for one of those goat cheese and bacon sandwiches? Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took all but the first photo. I think we should have a garlic scape party in June with bacon-goatcheese-scape crostini. Wanna come?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to have a garlic scape party! Sounds good to me! Giana, you have quite the eye for photography. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie, get ready for an official scape party in June. You and David have to come out!

    ReplyDelete